Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Designer "Birkin"

  • Or Should We Call it, Firkin?
I don't know why, or is it a trend now of having a Birkin inspired bag?

Well some of these "inspired" bags do come out nicely, but mostly they look just awkward. And what's more awkward is that, recently there are SO MANY designer labels that came out with Birkin inspired bags. Have a look here.

Burberry. As it was seen on the Burberry Prorsum Menswear for Autumn/Winter 2011, I think this "Firkin" doesn't look that bad. I like the red leather trims, but I'm not sure about the canvas though. I would fall for it if the canvas was dyed in a light red colour. What's ok for me on this bag is the lockpad, it is not exactly like the Birkin's. Oh by the way, you can order this bag RIGHT HERE for GBP1,195/US$1,895 and it's only for a limited time (or you'll have to wait till the winter collection comes out)!

The "Grunge" Birkin by Mihara Yasuhiro. Lol to that. What I think is, if you want to get an "inspired" designer bag, get one that looks FAR AWAY from the authentic one. One that looks very ... "inspired". Ok fine, in my language, fake. Well, this bag is now available at Club 21, Four Seasons Hotel, Singapore, for only S$1490. "Inspired", weird, but still, it has a designer label on it, and it's in real leather. Why not?

(Ugh, Malaysia still doesn't have any Club 21 store except for that mini booth at Parkson, Pavilion.)

Furla. LOL. This one's a see-through bag, and at the description section of this bag, it says that this feature would allow inspection at the airport more convenient. Lol? But why would I wanna let everyone see what I'm gonna carry up to the plane? But still I wouldn't mind getting it for shopping. And since it's still a designer bag, why not splurge US$540 for something a little more "convenient"?

Ah, Gucci. I have seen one in Python skin myself and I think I kinda liked it. The thing was, it was open. The "Girkin" (Gucci Birkin, geddit? XD) above is closed, and for me ... it's just hideous. Really. Oh well, what more to say. The one on the left retails for US$5300 and the other one retails for US$4200. Both are 37cm long.

These ones are 32cm long. It comes Violet, Green and Taupe. The violet and green one retails for US$3,600, and the one in taupe, US$4,500. Don't ask me why. Oh they have the 32cm "Girkin" in orange and violet crocodile skin too and both retails for US$26,000. I would definitely LOVE to see these 2 in person.

This one's ... hmmm ... not too bad. 37cm long, in snake skin (oh yeah I have an obsession with snake skin XD) but I don't know how much this one costs. I'm sure it has a hefty price tag.

Last but not least, a "Girkin" for the men. This one, I approve! It looks SO MUCH better than the women's "Girkin". I also don't know how much this costs. If it weren't for the crocodile skin, this would have been up to my 2011 resolutions list.

So, you've seen the "Firkin"s which is the "Bur-kin", the "Mirkin-Yirkin", the "Fur-kin" and the "Girkin", or perhaps, "Gur-kin" (Goor-keen LOL!). Some are nice, some are REALLY wonderfully made, some awkwardly attractive, others, ugh. But always remember...

Nothing beats the original Birkin.

Hmmm ... since a Birkin (according to advice and online forums) could have a waiting list of 2 years and up to 6 years, I was thinking of placing an order for one, any advice for me anyone?

Source : Burberry, MyMANyBags, Furla, Gucci.

7 comments:

Xen ♥ said...

I am officially stalking your blog! (: I totally get what you mean by how some "inspired" bags look like they just ripped off the original design wih minor changes. I still remember when the Fendi Spy came out- a few months later, "inspired" bags were popping out everywhere! Eeeps.

Regarding the Birkin, get it! It will always be a classic and like Chanel, their prices do go up so if you have the $$ to drop, invest in one pronto! There is no waiting list, Hermes just tells that to people to seem more 'exclusive'? I have friends who own a few and they didnt have to wait (: You should pop in and just enquire, see what the SA says. Alternatively, if youre going overseas take advantage of the tax refund! hehe

Stylicious Fashionista said...

Friend got it off the shelf in Italy for RM10k cheaper!! But you can't afford to be picky when it comes to colour and/or size.

But let me tell u, the SAs here will tell you that you'll be on the waitlist for 2-3 yrs. Friend's mum booked 2 at once, and she STILL had to wait. It's all about who you know I suppose, lol.


What colour you planning to get? and what size? I prefer the Togo - much more classic. ;D


Xen Lee: Feel free to stalk my blog too Bag Addicts Anonymous - It's a blog dedicated to designer handbags ;D Jeremy stalks it too lol.

Stylicious Fashionista said...

Oh btw Jeremy darls, new Fendi bag up on blog! Dubbed as one of the It Bags for 2011!! ;D

Stylicious Fashionista said...

Oh you forgot Aigner's Birkin-esque bag!

Soon Jeremy said...

Xen Lee : LOL and it's a pleasure to have such a stalker XD. Ugh inspired bags, they never get enough do they?

Both : It is definitely one of the best investments, and yeah I heard the waiting-list has been dropped, but they still told me I have to wait up till 5 years.

My Fendi sales assistant told me once that when your Birkin comes earlier, they would sell to other customers first. Ugh, Hermes and "exclusive" people.

And yeah SF, I heard that now you can just drop by an Hermes store and grab a Birkin from the shelf, provided that they have ready-made stocks, and true, can't be picky of the colour and size. :/

Xen Lee : I would actually prefer to wait a couple of years, this would allow me to slowly save up as I can't randomly afford a Birkin, yet. :p

SF : Well...I was thinking hard about the size, maybe a 35 or a 40 but some say 40 is a little too big and heavy. About the colour I'm not too sure yet, maybe a yellow, red or black (essential colour). And definitely the Togo or any other grained leather, scratch proof. :D

Stylicious Fashionista said...

Jeremy: definitely grained leather. If you get it in classic Black, palladium hardware would be a better choice. Though most black bags look better with gold hardware (Prada is just one of them!) I think the Birkin looks way better in palladium hardware. Btw, you should totally buy Michael Tonnello's book titled "Bringing Hime the Birkin" - they have it in Kinokuniya, Times, & Borders. It's all about the mythical "waitlist", and works like an Birkin guide. ;D and for other fashion exposés go get "Fashion Babylon" by Imogen Edwards, and "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Lustre" by Dana Thomas

Btw, knowing that you're a BIG Hermes fan, I'm surprised that you didn't have anything to say about the Hermes clutches I blogged about a couple of days ago? Lol

Soon Jeremy said...

SF : Yeah I heard about the "Bringing Home the Birkin". About the clutches, well, another blogger blogged about it too, but the thing is that, it didn't wow-ed me. :/ But I do like the lizard skin detail :)